Thursday, July 8, 2010

Six

My dear baby girl turned six today. I guess she's not really a baby anymore, although she's still my baby.

Six years. Six years since I looked into that beautiful face for the first time. Six years since I first felt the indescribable love that a mother feels for her child. It's a love that strikes so hard and fast. Six years of constant worry. Six years of feeling her little hand in mine, growing bigger by the day and knowing I'll never forget how if feels. Six years of listening to her little voice becoming not so little anymore. Six years of countless hugs and kisses. Six years of "I love yous." Six years of bedtime stories and lullabies. Six years of three in the bed. Six years of snuggles. Six years of wonderful.

Words seem to simple in many ways to express how much love I have for you. I can thankfully say that I know that I have not taken any of it forgranted. I have loved every single day.

You are our sweet one. You are caring and thoughful. You're a pleaser. And you're growing and changing all to quickly into a little lady. You have changed more this year that I'd ever imagined. You are just so big. Your thoughts are so grown-up. You have worries for the first time. You think beyond the next day or week. You can read. You are the child in the class that everyone likes. And you're ours.

I thank God every single day for allowing me to take care of you for a little while. And I am so proud of you. You have a love for God that already shines through you. You take care of your little brother & sister. You shares with them & others. You love to sing, and you especially love to sing church songs. I'll never forget the sound of your voice just belting them out from the backseat of the car. Priceless. You love going to bible class and are constantly amazing me with the thoughts you have on what you've learned.




So, happy birthday sweet Madeleine. You have changed our lives forever. You have made the past 6 year such fun and quite an adventure. I cannot wait to see what the future holds.

4 comments:

Allison said...

Sweet post. Happy Birthday Madeleine!!

Jamie said...

Yes, very sweet post! Can't believe it has been 6 years! Time just flies! Happy Birthday!!

Kim said...

Sniff sniff - That Madeleine has been a joy to watch on your blog! Many blessings for her as she continues to grow in the Lord! :)

~aj~ said...

Oh Rachel, this post is so incredibly touching. Your love for your daughter makes me teary. She is going to treasure reading these words herself someday.

Happy (belated) birthday, Madeleine!

Can't wait to see her soon and do a little more celebrating!