Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Years News

I'm a day behind on posting this, I know. I've never been big on New Years Resolutions. Maybe it's because most people don't keep them for very long. But, probably, it's because I'm one of those people that firmly believe in a fresh start every day. So, since I can make a fresh start each morning, why wait for a new year?

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. -- Anne of Green Gables

However, this year I've decided to make a New Years Resolution. It's something I've thought about alot. And, I'm putting it out there for all of my friends/family to keep me accountable. :) This year, I'm not going to over-committ myself. I'm going to say "NO" to more things and just slow down and take time to enjoy the simple moments. I'm going to stay home with my babies and not have days that are packed from beginning to end.

This fall has been crazy for us! I've been involved in a lot of things. And, while I can't uncommitt overnight to some things, I can limit the amount of time I'm willing to give them. Some of this comes from realizing the past couple of weeks, when we've been on vacation, just how stressed a lot of this has made me. Some of it comes from finally realizing that there will be a time when my kids are older & in school when I'll be able to do a lot more. Some of it comes from just being tired of not having the TIME I want to spend time reading & playing with my kids. (That is after all why I decided to be a stay-at-home mom). And some of it comes from looking ahead to this semester and knowing that Matt's schedule is going to be so very hectic that our family just can't handle BOTH of us being busy all the time.

(And, have I mentioned what Matt's doing? Well....he's working full time. Taking 9 -- NINE!-- hours of doctoral classes. Teaching our Bible class. Oh yes, and being a dad & hubby. That's just the big stuff -- not even considering he's co-department chair, etc.)

So that's it. It's not anything mind boggling or extremely unique. It's just me getting back to doing what I really love to do, what I feel called to do. Because, honestly, that's what being a stay-at-home mom is -- a calling. If you don't love it, you'll hate it! And, if you don't love it, it's not the right thing for you. (and yes, I realize it's not something everyone can do and I feel very blessed that I can) For me, I've know since I was a little girl that it what I would do someday and I've never felt more fulfilled and like I'm living God's purpose than when I'm whole-heartedly committed to being a wife and mother. So, lookout -- I'm bring back the old-fashioned, 1950s, stay at home mom...with a modern twist.

1 comment:

~aj~ said...

I love this Rachel and I could not agree with you more. I read a book a while back called "Passionate Housewives Desparate for God" and it really changed the way I view my "job". There is NOTHING more important than caring for my family and making God our first priority in all that we do. I'm also guilty of over-scheduling and over-committing and sometimes I need to remind myself what's really important in this life.

We'll have to remember to encourage one another in this!