Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Resolutions

Now that we are into the new year, I thought I'd post about some of resolutions we've made for this year. I've never been one to sit down and make New Year's Resolutions but I always like the start of a fresh new year. I'm more likely to make changes during the year as needed. But, we do have a few goals and standards that Matt and I have set for our family that we intend to carry through this year. Most of these are things that we have already been doing for awhile -- they are not new to our family, but we are planning to continue them into this year.




*Family Bible Study. We started this last year and everyone loved it. We've made some changes this year and instead of continuing to do a book study, we are going to begin reading through the Bible with the kids this year. Matt and I are starting in Genesis and picking out verses for the kids to read and then having them read them in our study time. They love reading out loud from the Bible! So far this has been a huge success -- and we still in creation.




*Limited Technology. I will admit that one of the things that bugs me the most is kids that are on technology and tune out when someone is talking to them. Drives me nuts! If my kids are going to tune me out -- they'd better be engrossed in a book. We believe that playing cultivates imaginations. It makes them thinkers and encourages creativity. That doesn't happen when they are face down in technology. Yes, we have an IPad and a Wii and a TV with tons of channels. However, these are all limited big time. I never want to give my child a piece of technology so I can get some peace or because it's easier than actually dealing with a problem behavior. And, yes, this is tough. But, our kids have the best imaginations because we are mean and actually make them play. Ha! They play Legos and build things or craft or create these elaborate stories that involve all types of toys.




*Encourage Reading. This is a BIG one in our house. Matt and I are firm believers that reading makes lifelong learners. We want our kids to love to read -- not a problem so far. I'm going broke keeping them in books! But, Madeleine reads and rereads her books. I'll find her at night in the middle of a book just "reading my favorite part." Madeleine flies through books and Harrison is just about to finish his first chapter book by himself! Reading will help them later in life to be able to make decisions based on facts -- not just what someone else told them. Matt and I both love to read and there are piles of books around our house so our kids are probably going to be good readers just because it's what they see modeled. Reading opens so many doors for them and helps them in school -- they are both way above their required reading level (Harrison is already at a level 21!) and they are excellent spellers as well as have advanced writing skills because they model what they've read. So, yes, books rule in our house!




* Read through the Bible in a Year (for me and Matt). We are well on our way and we are doing it separately but keeping the same schedule so we can encourage each other. We are also trying to make sure that our kids see us doing this -- we want to model for them the importance of spending time with God each day. We wouldn't do this in front of other people -- never for show -- but we want our kids to see this from us. They need to know that mom and dad made it a priority to read from God's word each day and telling them just isn't the same as showing them.




*Allowances. We started this awhile back but I never really blogged about it. We give all of our kids an allowance each week -- based on age. They do have some responsibilities to earn it. They have to make their beds and pick up each day. I want them to learn to take care of what we have and not take forgranted they toys and even the beds they have. Matt works hard to provide for us and I want them to realize that and take care of what they have been given -- allowing them to make a mess and not pick it up, to me, means that they are not taking care of their toys. And, we want to teach them to take care of what they have and this begins with the small stuff.


I guess that's all for now. We've been snowed in for what seems like days. I'm so behind on my blogging and blogger is giving me fits lately! My final resolution is to start blogging again more regularly. I love being able to go back and read about what we were doing 4 or 5 years ago (or more). Life is just busy now. And, even though we try to limit outside activities, just living keeps us busy -- taking care of 3 kiddos and Matt trying to finish his dissertation in the next few weeks and working like crazy too, but that's life I guess. :)

No comments: