Friday, July 8, 2011

Seven Year Letter

My dear sweet Madeleine,
How is it possible that it has been seven, seven years since the first moment that I looked into your face and held you in my arms. I remember that moment so well. I remember looking at you as the doctor put you in my arms and feeling as if I'd been waiting my whole life for this moment. After months of wondering and talking with your Daddy about what you'd look and be like, it seemed in that moment that I'd known you forever and you'd been a part of us forever.

When you were a baby I could never wrap my mind around you grown up. And, yet, here we are seven years later and you're becoming quite grown up.

This year I've seen more changes in you than perhaps any year with the exception of your first. The biggest change has been your newfound independence and along with that independence has come a huge amount of self confidence. You used to be the quiet, shy child of any group. But, now, you find a new friend anywhere we go. You are loved by your classmates at at school and make friends so easily. You are determined to do things yourself and have the confidence to try anything new that interests you. Along with this independence has come a healthy dose of stubbornness, which has been our biggest challenge as your parents this year. :)

One of my greatest joys this year has been watching you discover an overwhelming love of reading -- you've actually read 16 chapter books in the past 10 days! I wish I could take all the credit for how much you love to read, but I have to give a large part of it to the incredible kindergarten and first grade teachers you've had. There are many nights lately that your Daddy & I have to make you put up your book at bedtime and it's not without a fight! Your favorite books right now are Junie B. Jones, Rainbow Fairies, Magic Treehouse and just recently you've started The Boxcar Children. I miss reading to you, but you prefer to read yourself and I love to hear you laughing out loud in your room as you read. It always makes me smile.

As much as you have changed this year, there are parts of you that have simply grown stronger and become more and more a part of who you will forever be. You have always has a servant heart and this has grown more this year. You are quick to help me at home -- you usually set the table and often help me do the dishes because you just want to help. You are a constant help with Charlotte and I've been reminded of that even more with you home this summer. You love to "mother" Charlotte and I can already tell that you will be a wonderful mother one day.

Of all the things I love about you, one of the things that I love the very most is your pure heart. I love that you see with your heart and not your eyes when you look at others. Your best friends at school aren't the same ethnicity or from the same social status. But, you don't see what the world sees -- you see them as God sees them. I just love that. And, I find myself praying every single day that you will keep that forever.

Madeleine, you have been one of the greatest blessing that I've ever been given. You have taught me more about how much love a momma's heart can hold that you will ever know. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for you and I am thankful that I get to be a part of your life each and every day.

Love,
Momma

1 comment:

~aj~ said...

Beautiful!

Madeleine is one incredible little girl and she is learning from a great mommy!