Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Camp J.A.M.

Madeleine went to her first sleep away camp this year. We sent her with a group from our church to Camp J.A.M. (Jesus And Me) in OK. It was a HUGE deal, especially for me. :) But this camp is just for kids from 3-6th grade and it has Bible classes and worship time, but also lots of playtime. They have daily "chores," daily rest time (although I'm not sure how much resting went on!!) and daily Bible Class.  But they also do some really fun games and have canteen time and swimming every day.
 I prayed and prayed that she would have the time of her life and grow closer to God and the friends she has at church. She had the most amazing week. Even more amazing than I could have imagined for her. She came home talking just a bit more grown-up and having grown so close to the girls at church.

This girls is so independent -- she mocked me the night before when I suggested what she should do if she got homesick. Ha! She was totally fine; probably more confident than I was. They left from church Sunday morning before Bible Class and came home Friday night. It was a long week. The longest I've ever been apart from her, but she was ready.
My sweet friend Angel was a counselor and sent out daily "momma morning updates" to us moms back home! Loved getting these as well as other pictures during the week. And, they do a Facebook video each day that Matt and I watched at night and could see the fun things they were doing!

Madeleine and her best friend from church Maci had bunks right together.

Support your State day! 
Madeleine's chore each morning was cleaning the tables after breakfast. Her counselor told me that she'd take Madeleine anywhere -- she was such a helpful girl. She was always looking for a way to help and often was doing a job before anyone could ask. Loved hearing these words of praise for my girl!


I found this on her bed the day she was due home. Harrison had wrapped a box of candy for her. I think he and Char missed their sister just a bit. :) We all missed her! She flew off that van Friday night and into our arms for some big hugs. I guess she's not so grown up that she can't miss mom and dad just a bit, huh?!

No comments: