Saturday, May 29, 2010

My Big Boy

I've wanted to do a post on Harrison for awhile now, but just haven't gotten around to it, so here goes!

Just thinking about this little boy makes me smile. He's so full of life and energy! He has the most expressive eyes. He will cut them to the side to make a point sometimes. He also has the deepest dimples that melt my heart! I know he should probably be in trouble more than he is -- but those dimples get me every time!

He has the sweetest heart and is so in tune to the feeling of those around him. Remarkable for a 3 year old, I think. He'll often ask me "mommy, are you happy?" If I tell him yes, he'll say "but, you not smilin'." Or he'll tell me that he's so happy and make me look at his face where he's make a goofy grin. If he's upset with me, he'll tell me that I'm not his best friend anymore. When I reply that I'm OK with that, but mommy has to do the right thing for him, he'll say....."OK, you're my best friend now....am I your best friend?" He can't rest until I tell him that he's my best friends and I love him.

He loooooves Thomas the Train right now. He will play trains all day long. If I try to interrupt him, he'll insist that he needs to finish his story first. He even narates them like the movies. I think he might have a future job in this! I'll hear him exclaiming "cinders and ashes" or he'll run to tell me that "thomas and percy are MAD." I love to listen to the little stories he plays out. They are so cute!

He's on the fence about napping right now. If I make him lay down at 12:30 he'll go right to sleep and sleep for at least 2 hours. But, if we're not home at that time, forget it! He often falls asleep in the carpool line and I'll carry him in and lay him down and he'll sleep another couple of hours. He's much happier and less cranky when he's had a nap, but he can certainly go without it. It's just so nice when he takes one! :)

He has a potty mouth still. And by potty mouth I don't mean vulgar words, I mean potty words. I think this is a boy thing. We have a rule in our house that potty words belong in the bathroom, so I'll often hear him in there yelling, YELLING "POO POO" over and over and over. Then he'll leave. Right now he like to call people "booger heads." He did that in walmart today to Charlotte and I'm serious when I say that I saw a lady near us spit out her drink she was laughing so hard.

He's also pretty into animals and pirates now too. He likes to dump out all his animals and trees/bushes and cover my dining room floor with them and pronounce it a jungle. And, his playground outside is forever being transformed into a pirate ship with sharks in the water!

This boy is a bathing beauty! He would probably take 4 baths a day if I'd let him. The max I allow is 3. I draw the line there. He's discovered those little capsules that you put into water and they turn into little foam critters/ships/dinosaurs/etc. Every time we drive by walmart he asks me "can we go to walmart and get some of those little things???" I think we probably have over 100 little foam things lurking around our house. I know for a fact we added 12 fish to the collection this morning after our weekly walmart run!

He loves to sing! His favorite songs right now are church songs -- in particular My God is a Great Big God (preschool version) and The Days of Elijah, which he calls "There's no God like JehoBah!" It never fails to make me smile when I hear him sing this. :)

He inisits on wearing his Thomas undies backwards. He says he has to see Thomas and he can't when Thomas is on his bootie! Ha!

We're having the battle of the bellies at dinner. Harrison is going throught a picky stage and most nights eats only bread at dinner. Oh well. I'm hoping that he'll outgrow it like Madeleine did, but for now all I can say is he's quite hungry at breakfast! And almost every night at dinner he asks if after dinner we can go to braums. :) That boy loves him some chocolate chip ice cream -- on a cone. I was going to buy him a new carseat this month, but decided to wait until ice cream season is over. (ha -- as if we have ice cream season! Our whole year is ice cream season!)

He's gotten really good at coloring. Last week he was making "tracks" for his trains on paper and they looked like tracks. I think preschool has helped with a lot of this. This summer we're going to tackle learning to write some letters and a couple of numbers.

One more thing --- he's super dramatic. He'll slump over and walk away like that if he doesn't get his way. :) It so hard not to laugh. Or he'll hit his head with his hand in those ah-ha moments!

There really are no words to explain how much I love this little guy. We've had a fun year and I'm so thankful that I've had so much one on one time with him. He just fills a room with life! And he's so well behaved (as long as he's not tired) that I really can take him anywhere. He stays right with me in stores and has learned the "hold the cart" routine for walmart runs. He really is just so much FUN! I love days where we have no where to go and I can just stay home and play with him!






No comments: