Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Snow Day Fun

We had our first snow of winter the first week in December. It's kind of unusual to have snow this early in winter for us, but we were so excited! It actually was freezing rain, then sleet, then 6ish inches of snow on top. And, it was COLD!
 
We woke up Thursday morning to no school! Woohoo! But the crazy part is that when they cancelled school there wasn't even anything on the ground yet. It was cold, but just cloudy. While the kids and I stuck around the house that morning, Matt had to head off to work. He left early afternoon, made a quick Walmart and Lowes stop for supplies and then got home just as it was getting bad. By the time he pulled in the garage, there was a sheet of solid ice on his car!
 
I spent most of Thursday cleaning and cooking and getting ready to be stuck in the house for a couple of days.....which ended up being almost a week! We had so much sleet on Thursday, everything was covered in sleet -- I've never seen anything like it! We went to bed and woke up to our house looking like this. 
It snowed all morning on Friday. After lunch we ventured out to try out the new sleds that Dad brought home on Thursday. It was sooo cold and still snowing a little bit, and we didn't last too long that day. We headed home to warm up with some good hot chocolate!

Saturday we had a much better day sledding! We have a great hill on the golf course just a few houses down and it's perfect for sledding! We were out there with lots of other families having a blast. Poor Charlotte didn't stay very long -- on her second sled a lot of ice flew up in her face and she was done. She and I headed home and then Matt & I took turns with the big kids. Sledding is fun! The kids begged to go back out every day and we were happy to let them!



Harrison wore his Lowes building goggles the whole time! Ha! We were not at all prepared for cold/wet weather this early and didn't have the right boots or gloves. We were so getto out there -- the kids had one layer of gloves, then plastic baggies, then 2 pairs of socks over them on both their hands and feet! Haha! But it worked great! And, they came home with warm hands and feet even after being out for a long time.




We ended up staying in Thurs, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Nowhere had church around here and the roads were so bad still. By Monday I really needed to go to the grocery store and so we got out and made a Walmart run. It was empty there! I thought it might be packed because people were needing to get out, but it wasn't. I ended up doing my shopping for the whole week which was good because we ended up being in for 2 more days. I really thought we might have school on Wednesday, but it was cancelled again. That made for an entire week out of school -- with a weekend in there! I know that we will be struggling come spring semester when we have to make these days up, but it was so so fun to have a week at home before Christmas with all of us here!

Even though Matt worked a ton of the time, we still managed to have some fun. I cooked a lot of goodies and put some things in the freezer for Christmas. We played loads of games! Charlotte has discovered Uno and is quite a pro at it now. We spent hours around the table playing Uno, Sorry, Memory and more! I know that a lot of parents were ready for their kids to get out of the house and go back to school, and I was a little bit too. I had lots of things that I needed to finish up for the following week, but honestly, I loved every moment of being home! I'm a homebody and my happiest time is when we are all home together!



No comments: