Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Father's Day

We had a great Father's Day this year! I am so thankful to have such a wonderful husband and sweet daddy to our children. He works SO HARD for our family (if you don't know what all he does, ask me sometime) and still finds time to play with us. Some of the things I love the most about Matt as a Dad:
*Listening to him read bedtime Bible stories & how he stops at the ends and discusses it with Madeleine and lets her ask questions.
*Laughing with him at the silly things the kids do!
*When he gets in the door at night, he drops on the floor and tickles, hugs, laughs with them before he does anything else. Often we all end up sitting by the backdoor for awhile after he gets home, just playing. :)
*He ALWAYS has time to play......he will stop what he's working on and take a "playbreak" if the kids ask him to.
*He will take Madeleine up to the school with him when he's working -- she loves this & he lets her do special things there -- like use markers, or make copies with him.
*He has so much patience when teaching them sports -- basketball, golf, etc, and he'll stop the second they are tired of the game and want to do something else.

There's so much else I could say......we are so blessed!!

Madeleine got Matt a rose to wear -- she was so exited about giving it to him!
We also celebrated my Dad's birthday on Sunday, along with Father's Day, with lunch at my parents house. I have to say, Father's Day always makes me think about the way I was raised. I think that Dad's set the tone for the entire home and I am so grateful to have been raised in the home I had! My dad was SUCH fun! He always had time to play with us, he let us paint his nails, put makeup on him, do his hair. What fun!!! Many a Saturday afternoon was spent with Sharon and I testing our "concoctions" of makeup/perfume on Dad while he sat in the recliner. :)

I also know this to be true: I have never, ever in my life known anyone that holds to his beliefs and lives out his faith more than my dad. I know now as an adult that it is extraordinary to feel that way about a parent, and at the same time I feel incredible humbled knowing that God placed me in this family.

I have found such joy watching Harrison and my Dad together -- they share the same name, but I hope that some day they will share so much more. For now, my dad is definitely on the top of Harrison's favorite people list!

No comments: