Sunday, March 15, 2009

Blogger Blah

I've been so bad at posting lately. But, in my defense, we've had just about every sickness that you can get from pink eye (all 4 of us) to stomach flu (everyone but me) to fevers and more.

So, I'm too tired to blog.

Harrison is our latest sickie. I took a picture of him napping this morning since it was the first real sleep he's had since Tuesday. Yeah. 5 days. But, I'm not going to post it since my computer is still sick and I'm having to use Matt's that has a funky photo program that takes forever. If you want more pictures, send me $$ for a new computer! :)

After a bad, bad, BAD night Friday night I gave in and took him to the urgent care clinic on Saturday. I know now that I should have taken him in sooner, but the last two times I've heard...."sorry, it's just a bad cold. We can't do anything for him. Yep, we know there aren't any over-the-counter meds for 2 year olds, sorry. Don't forget to pay on your way out."

Hey, these are tough times and there's alot of other stuff I could do with that $15 copay.

Back to Saturday. We headed out -- in the rain -- to take Harrison to the doctor. As soon as the nurse calls his name -- hysteria breaks out. He starts screaming, point to the door and yelling, GO GO GO. We get back inside and he refuses to stand on the scale. He kicks his legs out when I try and put him down, so we try the baby scale. Where he screams. And screams. Finally the nurse thinks she's gotten a good weight -- almost 1 1/2 lbs less than his 2 year weight (and probably true as sick as he's been).

We get to the exam room. I look around for something to keep him occupied. Nothing. Nothing?? This is a pediatric clinic, right?? Where are the books and toys to keep your kids quiet and calm until the doctor get to you? All I see is the free Bible that's in every room. Great. And we wait....

We finally see a doctor. And it was worth the wait. He's got croup and a "raging" ear infection. I know the drill with the croup treatment and know to ask for the shot instead of the oral meds. No, I'm not mean. I did feel bad that he had to have 2 shots since they had to spilt the steriods b/n his legs. But, I know from experience that the shot gives him about 24 hours of crazy behavior, whereas the oral makes him a sleepless maniac for 3-4 days.

So, bandaided legs and prescription in hand, we leave. I was shocked to find out that we'd only been there an hour. It felt like so much longer. SO MUCH LONGER.

Hopefully last night was our last bad night. He seems much better this evening. Although today hasn't been the best since Madeleine cut her hair. Boo. And, I stayed home with Harrison. I think I've been to church 4 times since Christmas. I wonder what's the record for most Sunday's missed from sick kids?? Can anybody out there beat me??

Okay. If you're still reading this you must really love us. Or be really bored. Or be a mommy who can sympathize. This spring has been tough. So so so tough. It seems like every week has been the same: Monday/Wednesday school. Tuesday homeday.....where matt's gone until around 10pm. And, Thursday someone gets sick and is sick until Sunday. And we start all over. I haven't been out of my house much except to go to the grocery or pharmacy and it STINKS.

However, there's nowhere else I'd rather be. I know that on the worst days I'd rather be at home with my babies that at work somewhere else. But, I have to admit that there are days when I miss getting up and dressed and looking NICE. I miss having the energy and time to exercise daily, which I love and feel frustrated that I can't even find 45 minutes for myself. I think I'm getting used to feeling like a walking zombie. Scary, huh.

And sometimes, I just need to vent. I promise my next post will be more upbeat. And have pictures.

5 comments:

Brian and Katie Whitt said...

def do not feel bad about your venting! If any one of us haven't gone through this yet we soon will! We've done the pink eye and stomach bug as well....your mother being an unfortunate witness of mine!
Surely spring will be better!

Erin said...

Don't feel bad about venting...we all need to at some point. We went through roseola, upset stomachs, and more cold than you can count since August, thanks to daycare (and my husband and I bringing it home from work). When Carter gets sick, Steve and I have to use our sick days to stay home at take care of him. No more "mental health days" for us...

Jamie said...

I know that venting sometimes helps! I'm so sorry you guys have had it so rough! You sound like you definitely need some mommy time! I so hope we get to see you on Friday!!!!

Tara said...

Sorry you all have been sick. I feel the same way about the doctor! "Sorry, just a virus--please pay on the way out." Ahhh! We need to get together and have a play date.

Carrie M said...

Hang in there Super Mom. I think that I look forward to the hair cut picture the most. I hope everyone starts feeling better soon! Hopefully this improving weather will help.
A memory that popped into my head the other day, that you might enjoy too this week...remember when we sat in our beds during Pledge Week and turned our mandatory bible study into a 'who can find the best scripture to explain this AWEFUL stress that I am under'...ahh, for the days when "stress" was doing crafts until 2am. Those certainly were "light and momentary troubles" weren't they! :)