Monday, March 30, 2009

To Kindergarden or Not to Kindergarden???


Right now we're facing our hardest parenting decision yet. We have to decide whether or not to send Madeleine to kindergarden this fall. I just don't know what to do. We'd always said that we would hold her back......remember that she was so shy and quiet. Well, that all changed this past fall. She LOVES preschool. She pops up out of bed on preschool days and gets herself dressed. She comes home chatting about what they did and what her friends said, etc. She's such a different child from 1 year ago!




A couple of weeks ago her teacher sought me out to tell me that she'd heard that we were going to hold Madeleine back.....she said that in her opinion (she's been teaching preschool for a long time and was a teacher before that) Madeleine was "totally ready" for kindergarden. I'm not kidding when I say that my heart just sank when I heard that. Even as I write these words, I am fighting back tears. I'm not ready for this. Not at ALL. But, I don't want me not being ready to hold her back from what she's ready to do. It's just a hard call.




And then, factor in the mommy guilt. Oh, yes. This hasn't been the year I'd planned in so many ways. I had always wanted her last year at home to be one filled with lots of fun activities -- park days and picnics, chickfila lunches and playdates. But, moving and working at preschool 2 days a week, and having 2 months of sick kids has really cut into that time. We haven't done most of what I'd planned for and next year we can is she stays home.




But, I don't want to keep her at home because of what I WANT. That's not fair either. So, it's just a hard, hard decision. Today her teacher did a kindergarden assessment and madeleine did great!! I'm so on the fence about this. I wish it was half day -- that would be easier. Oh, and what's harrison going to do without her???? They play so great together. :( I think I just feel cheated out of a year with her. But, if we hold her back, will she be bored next year going into kindergarden at 6??




Ok. Enough rambling. I did want to post a little on my girl and what she's been up to!!




* She can count to 100 and write all the numbers too. She can do some basic adding as well (thanks to matt).




*She can spell/write all her colors as well as mommy, daddy, harrison, madeleine and mimi.




*She is still BIG into princesses. Her little princesses go everywhere with us! Her favorite movie is Thumbelina (the old one) -- which I have to admit I LOVE as well (although she is a little flighty at first, but hey, the songs were written by Barry Manilow). She has to get dressed up and act out the movie as she watches it. She's also really into playing with her my little pony sets.




*She loves to color and draw and craft - the playroom floor is constantly covered in glitter and beads. She draws pictures of her and matt playing golf. Last week she traced her foot and drew bones in it -- all her idea.




*She loves to dress up -- most days you'll find her in a tutu running around the house.




*She's really into healthy food -- she will ask me for a "healthy snack" then "like apples or carrots." Last week we went to get donuts for breakfast and she told me "mommy, donuts aren't healthy." I asked her if she still wanted one and she replied, "of course."




* She loves, loves, loves to play golf with matt!! They try and go hit once a week and putt/chip a couple of times during the week -- it's nice that it's just out our backdoor. :) She really looks forward to these times.




*She has become a good helper when it comes time to cleanup and she's always "organizing" something!! Haha-- where does she get that from?? She also loves to clean and last week "cleaned" her bathroom all by herself (imagine water and wet papertowels everywhere).




*Her favorite books (aside from princess ones) are Dr. Seuss, Fancy Nancy and Pinkalicious. She also likes for us to read her bible to her and even has her favorites in it -- The Saddest Day is the one we read most which is about the crucifixion and has lead to some very interesting/difficult discussions.




*She counts time by "sleeps" and will ask me "how many more sleeps till mimi's house?"




* She tries to talk so big! I am constantly laughing at the things she's saying to me!




*She's decided that she only likes the girls at school.




*She would rather sit in church with us than go to children's bible hour. She loves it when they sing songs she knows during church and I love listening to her little voice singing.




*She can work 100 piece puzzles by herself.




I could go on and on about how wonderful she is and how much fun we are having, but I guess I'll stop. :)

3 comments:

Sara said...

I have often thought of the same thing with my Adalynn, knowing she will be one of the younger ones and that she is quite also. Its a hard call...pray about it and God will lead you decision.

Amanda said...

Sounds to me like SHE is more than ready for school. But, I know that it is hard to let them go from us. I am dreading putting Emma into PreK next year 3 times a day, let alone let her go everyday! Whatever you decide I am sure things will work out great!

Melea Connett said...

HI Rachel! I love keeping up with you guys on your blog. I wasn't sure if you were searching for opinions on this subject or not. But, as a teacher, I really think that Madeline would love kindergarten! And I do think that if you keep her one more year in preschool, she might get bored there and the next year in kindergarten. She sounds like she is already more than ready for it! I know it is a hard thing and I know whatever you guys decide will work out perfectly! Keep us posted!