Monday, February 14, 2011

Fantastic 4

I've been wanting to do a post on my sweet Harrison & all the fun he's up to at 4!

I can't even think about this guy without smiling. Spending my days with him is rarely work now. He's grown into such a sweet little boy, still full of mischief, but his antics are almost always laced with sweetness. He makes me laugh a lot during the day!

Right now Harrison is very big into trains -- specifically Thomas Trains. He knows all of them by name (although several of them look alike to me) and we have many many MANY trains. Like more than 25. He plays trains most days if I'll build him a traintrack that's to his liking. :) I love to listen to his "stories" and I love that he narrates the Thomas stories he's pretending. He even says things like "Thomas was cross at Percy" which comes straight from all the Thomas stories we've read. I can take Harrison anywhere these days as long as he brings some trains along to play with. Just this week I had an early morning meeting at Madeleine's school and Harrison sat happily in the floor by me and played trains while we were there!


He's also gotten very interested in Toy Story lately. Some days he get all his Toy Story stuff out and makes up stories about the characters. I never get tired of seeing what his imagination is capable of making up. I think he's even more imaginative than Madeleine was at that age (maybe because he has a big sis to help him with this??). He and Madeleine will play and act out stories with their toys for hours on end. He always looks forward to her coming home each day so they can play.


I have to limit the amount of TV he can watch because he's a big TV watcher. Some days all he wants to do is sit and veg in front of the TV; but, some days he turns it right off and wants to do his own stories with his toys. He's discovered Tom & Jerry lately & I often hear him giggling at the stuff they're doing.

He's such a sweet little boy. He'll come to me for no reason and give me a hug and just tell me that he loves me. :) He still loves to cuddle and sit in my lap. At night, he wants me to sing him a lullaby and rub his face. He lays there with his eyes closed and a big smile while I do this each night.

He's learning to pray. He still doesn't want to pray on his own, but each night he'll say to Matt at bedtime, "Daddy, you teach me." How precious is that??? He repeats each thing Matt says and then does the closing himself. One night at dinner recently, Matt said "thank you for our food" and Harrison repeated it. Just as soon as the prayer was over, Harrison looked up and said, "heeey this food's not from God, it's from the STORE." That make all of us laugh! :)


He's gotten to be a picky eater lately, but the things he likes are pretty varied. He like broccoli & carrots, but that's it as veggies go. He likes most fruit -- pineapple is his favorite. He like turkey & ham & bacon, but won't each chicken nuggets or hot dogs. Hmmm. He loves cheeseburgers and granola bars. He'll only drink chocolate milk (which I dilute with white milk -- don't tell). He looooves ice cream & calls an ice cream sundae a "cherry on top."


He's a big negotiater now. He'll tell me he's only going to do this if I'll do that. Still not sure how I feel about that, but most of the time it's harmless stuff so I just go along. The good thing is that I can talk him into doing just about anything! He loves to be on the go & is happy to tag along with me to Walmart, Target, Sams etc. He thinks getting out and going to the store is fun!


Some random things I want to remember:
* He calls his action figures "mean guys" and will tell me he wants to play "mean guys."
* He proceeds many of his sentences with "This is good news," or "This is Baaaad news."
* He's the Spongebob police. Anytime he sees anything Spongebob, he tells me "Mommy, I have bad news. SPONGEBOB!!" All the while, pointing to the offending item. :)
* He's also the Vocab police (or vo-po, as matt calls him). He's always pointing out people/shows that use the words stupid, hate, or kill.
*He has the softest heart. The few times he's accidently hurt Charlotte, he just melts into a pile of tears. This past week, she crawled up behind him and he turned and tripped over her. He looked up at me with these huge eyes full of tears and just broke down into sobs. All of this without me even saying anything. It took me a full 10 minutes to calm him and convince him that she's OK...meanwhile, Charlotte has already crawled away & is happily playing. I pray daily that he keeps this sweet, sensitive heart forever. It's one of the things I love the most about that boy!

1 comment:

~aj~ said...

I love this post all about Harrison. He is such a funny boy! I love that he is all-boy, yet has such a sensitive heart. This will serve him well in life!