Tuesday, February 8, 2011

How I Survive The Grocery Store

aka How to Go to Walmart and NOT go Insane.


Sometimes I think it's easy for me to forget that the things that are hard now will not always be this hard. And, I realize "hard" is relative. But, doing things with 2, sometimes 3, in tow is not always easy -- but it won't always be this way. I want to remember that one day, something as simple as going to the grocery store will be just that -- simple. As for today, it takes planning and a lot, A LOT, of patience. So, here's how I do it today so that one day I can look back and appreciate how easy it is.

A trip to the grocery store where I'm buying food for the week (not one of those run-in-and-get-a-few-things trips) actually begins the day before I need to go. I plan out my menu and make a list of all the things I'll need to buy. Then I rewrite that list in the order that I'll shop through the store. This way I won't have to backtrack because I missed something. Then I go through my coupons and put them in coordinating order with the list. Then I write the list on the front of a business sized envelope & tuck the coupons inside so they'll all be handy while I'm shopping.

The time of shopping is usually planned for a time when all kids are well rested & not hungry. :) I pack a bag of snacks and sippy cups and off we go. When we get to the store I unload Harrison first and have him stand on the parking space line while I get out Charlotte. He's learned to do this and I can turn my back for a second and know that he'll be right by me. I hold Charlotte, snack bag/purse & Harrison usually holds onto my pocket, jacket, or purse while we cross the street to go inside. I'm very strict about holding hands across the street especially since our Walmart is the one of choice for the college kids who aren't always watching for little kids. Seriously.

Once inside the fun begins. While Charlotte sits in the cart, Harrison holds onto the side of the cart by me. I spent many MANY hours teaching him to do this the fall before Charlotte was born (just as I'd taught Madeleine before Harrison was born) and he'll hold on through the entire store and not let go. Now, we do usually go check out the toys first -- just to look -- and that makes him very happy. He's great about not wanting a toy since I usually remind him several times in the car that we're going to look but not buy. I think it's important to use this time to teach him that we can't always get a toy.

After the toys the real shopping begins. We start on our list. I let him help me pick out the baby food for Charlotte which he loves to do. Since the jars have pictures on them he can tell what we're getting. I try and let him help me choose different things in hope that he'll maybe try it out -- hasn't worked yet, but I'm not giving up! I also have a deal with him that he can get ONE treat at the checkout line if he does a good job. I remind him of this as we start out shopping. Then I repeat on every. single. aisle. He's happy to hold onto the cart and think about his treat as we shop. And, Charlotte is perfectly content as long as I'm feeding her cheerios along the way. We leave quite a trail through the store. When Madeleine is with us, her job is to read/check off the list which she loves to do and is actually a big help to me.

When we finally finish we head to the checkout where Harrison gets to pickout a treat. :) His treat of choice currently is Skittles -- a change from the Ring Pop phase of last fall. After paying and heading out, he's back to standing on the line while I load Charlotte and then get him in. He sits and eats his Skittles while I load the car & we head home.

At home, I usually get Harrison settled in the playroom and then Charlotte in her bed. Sometimes she's fine with this, sometimes, not -- and she'll let me know if she's not. But, this is necessary because she heads straight for the garage every time the door is opened and #1--I don't want her to get hurt and #2-- I don't want her to get dirty and cold out there.
It's usually about this point that I realize that even with all my planning, I've forgotten something. That's just the way it goes, I guess!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Love it! I am SUPER impressed that you can get Harrison to hang onto the buggy the whole time. I have tried and tried to get Lincoln to do this and it just doesn't work. Everytime I go with him, I vow I will not do it again! I do alot of the same things you do as far as making my list ahead of time. I like the idea to write it on the envelope. May have to try that!