Tuesday, October 2, 2012

31 Days

I can't believe that October is already here! This fall is flying by and I'll be putting up our Christmas decorations in just 6 short weeks -- yes, 6 weeks. I love Christmas and especially since we have little ones the season just doesn't last long enough, so I'm drawing it out this year. :)

But, for the month of October, we are trying something new around our house. We are doing 31 days of eating at home. We've done a lot of eating out/takeout lately and quite frankly, I'm tired of it. So we are going to be eating at home for the next 31 days -- or at least trying and making a good effort to do this. I realize that sometimes things happen and I already know that we'll be traveling one weekend, but it's a start.

We are trying this for several reasons. First it's gotten stinkin' expensive for us to eat out lately. Madeleine and Harrison are both old enough now that they need to order their own meal and too big to haul in sippy cups from home too. Add 2 adult meals and we typically spend at least $30 on a meal out which kills me since I can cook several dinners for that amount. Second, eating out with Charlotte right now is no. fun. at. all. She's just in that training phase and it's such work to take her out to eat. I usually end up eating with her on my lap and scarfing down my food and it's just no fun. So we are going to spend the next 31 days eating at home and training her on better table manners. :)

I'm kinda excited about this! It means I have to do a better job of planning and shopping for our meals and I'm excited to try some new foods. And, the crockpot will be getting put to good use!

So, here are our meals for this week:
M: French Dip Sandwiches, grapes
T: Spagetti with mini(turkey)meatballs, salad, breadsticks
W: Leftovers from Mon/Tues for me and Matt, Mac N'Cheese for kids (homemade)
T: Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken, garlic potatos, peas
F: Chicken Tacos (slow cooker), Black Beans, Queso
S: lunch: leftover tacos, dinner: Beef Stew (slow cooker) with crusty bread
S: lunch: leftover stew, dinner: Ham, biscuits, eggs

Oh, yea, and I made a yummy cinnamon cake! :)

1 comment:

Allison said...

Great idea! We're trying to eat at home more too, but haven't committed to the 31 days yet. =0)