Wednesday, June 12, 2013

First Days of Summer

We started our summer off with a BANG! by meeting up with our besties, the other W family, for a morning of fun outside. We started out by meeting up at one end of the Lake Fayetteville trail and walking it to Veterans Park. We could not have asked for better weather that day -- the morning was almost cool at first and I'm thankful in the midst of the hot weather this week that we took advantage of that beautiful morning!
 
We took our time on the trail and the kids explored as we went. The water was much higher than the last time we were there and we stopped along the way and threw rocks in the water. At one point a sweet older man in a boat just off the shore stopped and showed the kids the fish that he'd just caught. Now Harrison can't wait to get back there and fish -- he's certain he can catch one that size too. :)
 
The Wilson boys introduced my kiddos to honeysuckle as we walked too -- there was tons of it. Poor Harrison had to miss out on this part since I'd left his EpiPens at home and I'm always a crazy wreck when I do that. It doesn't happen often, I just changed bags that morning and they somehow didn't make the switch. Ugg. I hate it when that happens! The poor child has so many random allergies and I'm always worried about what crazy bug or plant might get him -- we've had enough run-ins to last me a lifetime. 
I love this little pic of Harrison & Drew -- they were deeply engrossed in a serious discussion about superheros.
We finally made it to the park. We'd both taken scooters for the kids to ride, along with bags of snacks. I had the feeling that I'd end up carrying Charlotte's scooter, but ended up carrying all of them before we were done with the day. What I sight we made toting all that gear while 6 crazy kids ran around us!

The park was so nice that day! We had it to ourselves most of the time -- and the kids got their imaginations going and pretty much left all the playground equipment alone and opted to play their own story. I love to see their imaginations at work -- there was "sword" fighting, a honeysuckle store, exploring and some serious bug stomping by Ty and Charlotte.
There was some serious cuteness going on with these 2 that day. They were hand in hand playing and walking around the park. This picture makes me smile every. single. time.

{Photo bomb by Madeleine }
We manage to make it back in one piece. :) My kids are dying to go back and explore the waterfall area more -- we never knew there was a path down to it. We'll be going back and bringing our snake fighter with us this time just in case! Ha! But, this morning, we had to get back since we'd planned to meet up with Daddy for lunch!

The kids were excited to see Matt in the middle of the day and had lots to tell him about our fun morning! It was the perfect way to kick off our summer!
And, we even got to check off something from our summer fun list! Play at Park -- Check!

1 comment:

~aj~ said...

Such a fun morning! Even if we were loaded down like pack mules! :)