Monday, November 30, 2015

Mock Meet 2015

The first week in November was Charlotte's first meet. She was so excited -- she's been working for this day for 6 months, which is a loooong time when you are 5 years old. We were up early that Saturday and at the gym by 7:30. She looked like a little gymnast in her fancy leo and hairdo. 
 This is her team with their coach. Lots of smiles that morning!
 The did lots of stretching first. Her splits are amazing!



 She competed in vault first. I snagged one picture before I went to video.
 We have emphasized to Charlotte over and over that the most important thing is to do her best and she needs to be happy with that -- and happy for her teammates when they win. We will ALWAYS celebrate after a meet if she pays attention and does her best -- whether she wins or not. I remind her every time that she goes into the gym to "be a good listener and do your best" and she does. She doesn't get in trouble. She works so hard. Of course, she has off days, but she tries so hard and loves it so much. I don't know if she will always love it this much -- and we are in gymnastics as long as she loves it and if/when she's done, we are done. But, I really thought this meet would be a turning point -- either she'd love being up there in front of a crowd showing off her skills, or she would be shy and uncomfortable. And, she thrived. She loved every minute. I thought before the meet that it wasn't possible for her to love it any more that she already does, but I was wrong.

It's hard to believe that a year ago she had never even touched a bar or a beam, and I'm just amazed at how far she has come in just 9 months. 

I was so so happy with how she did after each event. I've watched her practice and I knew that she tried her best and I was so proud of her, even before the winners were announced.

And she WON.
* 1st place in Vault
*1st place in bars
*2nd place in beam
*1st place in floor
And, FIRST PLACE ALL AROUND!!!

Instead of medals for this meet, her gym did prizes and Charlotte got to pick something every time she won. She left there with her arms full of prizes -- lots of makeup. :) And, a HUGE pillow that she loves!
 We have been so very blessed with an amazing coach. When we made the leap and gave gymnastics a try 9 months ago, I prayed that she'd have a coach that was a good match for her. And, we have been blessed with a coach that fits our girl perfectly. Charlotte needs someone tough, someone that will challenge her, but also someone that gives her encouragement when she needs it and Coach Katie has been such an answer to my prayers.
 Mimi and Grandad came and sat through the entire meet. All 4 hours. :)
 We are so proud of our girl. She pretty much floated through the rest of the weekend.....and I let her just enjoy every moment. She worked for it.


 Here are her scores for her first meet. I have no idea if they are good or not -- I know ZERO about gymnastics, but I'm beyond proud of how hard she worked!


No comments: