Friday, April 15, 2011

Words

After months of begging, bribing and trying all kinds of tricks to get Harrison interested in writing, he finally decided he wanted to learn to write. It was a couple of weeks ago on a Thursday night when Madeleine & I were going over her spelling words. All of a sudden -- Harrison runs into the playroom & returns with the white board & a marker. He tells me he want to write a word. What word??? Because. Because. The first word Harrison ever wrote on his own was "because." I didn't even think to take a picture of that! Maybe I was completely in shock that after all this time he'd decided to write.
Since then, we write every. single. day. He picks the words & I write them and then he copies it underneath. Sometime if he doesn't think he can get a letter, I'll write it in yellow marker & he'll trace it in a darker color. We've written everything from "grass" to "poop" to "poptart." However the spirit moves him, that's what we write. :) I find myself excited to see what word is going to pop out next! I did take some pictures of a few words we wrote that night. His writing is actually improving a lot & he's gain quite a bit of letter recognition. I guess it just goes to show me that kids will do things in their own time. I knew he'd get interested at some point with us doing spelling words for Madeleine each week.
I have to brag for a minute & say that, while they do work on their words some at school each week, all the reading Madeleine does is making such a difference in her spelling. We usually go over her words one time the night before her test on Friday & she had a 97% spelling average for this past quarter.
A couple of weeks ago this is the test she brought home. Numbers 14 &15 were a bonus. Yep, she got a 108% on that test!!! That's my girl!
When I was looking at the test a couple of days later (from it's prominate spot on our fridge!) I noticed something that made me BUST out laughing. Look at her name. It's misspelled! How funny is that??? I'm guessing she started writing her name, then stopped & took the test, then came back to her name, but still. 108% and she misspelled her name. Still makes me crack up! That silly, silly girl!

1 comment:

~aj~ said...

Madeleine's spelling mistake cracked me up. That is definitely a test to treasure and show her when she's older. (Remind me sometime to tell you about my bad spelling test experience in 1st grade...oh my!)

And Harrison with his letter practicing...TOO CUTE! I love his sheepish smile and I have to tell you that I am MIGHTY impressed by his letter writing ability!