Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Farewell School....Hello Summer!

Well, I'm finally getting around to documenting the last week of school, which was mostly just fun stuff for the kids.
Tuesday was Field Day at Madeleine's school. They have all these fun different activities for the kids to do outside during the morning. Last year, I volunteered. But, with Charlotte walking now -- and having NO FEAR of running away from me -- I decided that this year we'd just go and hang out and have fun. :) We got there about an hour before lunch and caught up to Madeleine just as she was finishing getting her face painted.


Harrison is not a big fan of the heat and was more than happy when it was time to go inside and eat lunch. This day they got to eat in their room which was a special treat!

After lunch, they got to go outside and have sno-cones! Yum! I was only able to take this one picture of Madeleine with some of her friends because Charlotte found the stairs that lead down to the parking lot and spent our entire time out there running toward them.....with me chasing after her!



Even though Friday was the "official" last day, we decided not to send Madeleine. Instead, Thursday was her last day. Mostly this was because her teacher said they were going to just play/watch movies on the last day because the teachers had to have their room ready for the summer by the time school was out on Friday. They also had their awards ceremony on Thursday afternoon & it just seemed like a good time to say goodbye.


I wanted to post first/last day pictures too. It's incredible to me how much she has changed this year. Yes, she certainly looks bigger. But the thing that strikes me the most is how much confidence she has gained this year. Gone is the little shy girl we once knew, and in her place is a little girl full of self confidence and not afraid to try anything.

August 2010

June 2011



Since Matt only had finals in the morning, he was able to get away for an hour to join us at the awards ceremony. It fell right in the middle of Charlotte's naptime, but she did great!

This little guy wasn't too excited by the idea of going to the awards ceremony (can you tell?).


And my sweet girl. They called her class last & I could hardly wait to see what award she would get this year, although I had a pretty good guess from all the writing she does and knowing that her teacher always is telling me that Madeleine is the one that writes the most on any assignment. :)

Getting her awards from Mrs. Currington (not her teacher, but one of the other 1st grade teachers). She got both the Reading & the Writing Awards! We are so proud of her!

This is her with Mrs. Austin on the 1st day of school.

And on the last day.

And this is my poor attempt at a picture as we left on her last day of 1st grade. sniff, sniff. Again, can't you tell just how excited Harrison was to be there!?!?

And now she's a big 2nd grader! I remember thinking on her first day of Kindergarten when we dropped her off that before we knew it she'd be going to 2nd grade and all this would be routine to us. Now we are there and I just can't seem to figure out where the time has gone.

No comments: