Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Three Cheers for Summer

This year summer could not get here soon enough. It's been a long year for us and I'm so ready for some good ol' family time!
We are going to have 5 whole weeks of nothing to do!! This semester has busy: Matt's been teaching, been the co-department chair, full time Ph.D student, teaching our Bible class at church, and working on FPS math task force. And, I've been busy wrapping up my term as PTO president, working with Matt on Bible class stuff, and, oh yeah, raising 3 kids! :) This is the first year ever that Matt's not going to be doing some kind of summer school for a good part of the summer; partly because his program got cancelled due to budget cuts, and party because when that happened we just decided that maybe we need some catch-up time and this is it. I realize that most dad's will never get to have 5 weeks of vacation with their kids in the middle of the summer. I realize that we're spoiled by this. But, most dad's don't spend as much time away as Matt does either. There are times this past year when he went for days without seeing Charlotte or Harrison awake -- or maybe just seeing them for 10 minutes in the morning. So we need this.
With Matt gone so much at night, The Three & I have spent a lot of time together & I'll be honest and say that I'm looking quite forward to some "mommy time" this summer as well. We need to catch up on family time & just the though of being uncommitted for 5 weeks makes me smile! We have a few things we'd like to get done around the house & some fun things we want to do with the kids, but those are all flexible.
Mostly I'm looking forward to hanging out and playing with the kids and having some dates with my sweetie. And, it all begins this afternoon! Matt's been doing some conferences the past couple of weeks, but today is the end of the last one and after a final meeting at 4pm -- Vacation Begins! I'm just hoping that meeting is a short one, cause I'm not too sure how much longer this mamma can wait!

2 comments:

Carrie Miller said...

YEAH!!!!!

~aj~ said...

I'm so happy for you guys. You are going to make so many great memories this summer!