Monday, June 13, 2011

Has it been that long?

Madeleine's birthday is quickly approaching. Our family is one that counts down the days until birthdays -- in fact at the end of each birthday, the "who's next" is always the biggest question. So, our days are filled with talking about what she wants to do for her party, on her real birthday, where she wants to eat, what kind of cake to get, and on and on. And, while I'm so excited about the things we're planning, this year my heart is just a little sad. I've been feeling quite nostalgic the past few days, thinking of how big my "little" girl is getting. It seems like just yesterday I looked like this and was counting down the days until I held my first baby (this is a picture taken about 6 weeks before Madeleine was born).
It seems like all of a sudden she's gotten so so big. She's at the age that I remember myself at very well. I know that she'll remember all the big things we do, but I also know that she'll start to remember always the things we do habitually. That's a thought that makes me smile and scares me equally. She'll remember how we sit and talk about her day over an afternoon snack each day or how we sing to Tangled at the top of our lungs in the car. But, she'll also remember when I mess up and how I handle that. How's that for pressure. :) I find myself looking forward more and more to having her to do the things with me that I always did with my mom and I find myself pretty excited at this new phase.

For now, one day at a time. And, exactly 25 days until the BIG day!

No comments: