Monday, May 14, 2012

Celebrating a Life Well Lived

Last weekend we met up with my dad's family to celebrate the life of my Granny. This could have been a time of sadness, but instead it was a time of joy because she was free of suffering and finally home. I have to admit, it was actually a great weekend. There were times of sadness, but had Granny been able to be there, she would have had such a wonderful time. We were all together, our whole family, which always means fun, we ate some fantastic mexican food which she loved and it was just the perfect way to honor her.

There we some things that really struck home with me -- things that I saw or heard that weekend and I want to remember them.

First, I was amazed that her 3 living siblings traveled to be at her funeral. They are all older -- in their late 80s or 90s and two of them traveled by plane to be there. What a bond. I see so many siblings these days that drift apart, but not this family. They traveled all that way just to honor her. That impressed me. What a family bond their parents gave them and it made me look closely at my children and take a second look at how I am trying to give that to them. It is part of my family legacy -- my parents helped my sister and I to cultivate that strong bond as children and teenagers and it remains today. I want to give that to my children because family is so important. I hope that years from now my children are still as close to each other as they are today.

Secondly, I was again reminded of the amazing life that my granny led. She was a faithful christian all of her days. It inspired me. She was a mother who raised 2 faithful children. I'm not sure I could think of a more impressive legacy to leave behind. Expept maybe to know that those children in turn raised 5 faithful grandchildren. That reminded me that what I am doing right now is possibly one of the most important things I will ever do with my life. And, looking at Granny's life I know now it can be done, and done well.

I also learned this weekend that I have a good bit more of my granny in me than I had ever thought. I have always thought that my sister was more "hamilton" than me. She has Granny's artistic ability and sense of humor. And, while I can only wish that I had inherited her wit, I certainly did relate to the picture my dad painted of her down on her hands and knees cleaning their home and taking pride in her work as a wife and mother. And, now I know that I can thank her for being as emotional as I am, especially when it comes to my children. They bring tears to my eyes almost daily.

These past few weeks have left me thinking a lot about legacy, which is another post all in itself. But, for now I know that Granny left quite a legacy. She was a preachers wife, involved in their church(es) and continued that involvement after pop pop died. She taught Bible classes and spoke at women's retreats. She led an inspiring life. It's not hard to me to imagine her in heaven right now. I can see her surrounded by her family, all the people that she loved. And, in her arms I can just see my big sister that she is getting to meet for the first time. That makes me smile.

And, while Granny has gone home, there are still reminders of her here. I see it in my Madeleine's love of art and artisic ability -- she certainly didn't get that from me. :) And, Harrison has most certainly inherited her wit, bless his heart. I can't help but think how much she would have enjoyed him!

Yes, last weekend was special. It was a time of remembering and looking heavenward.

No comments: