Saturday, October 6, 2007

Happy Birthday Mimi!

Today is Mimi's (my mom's) birthday. I won't say her age, except to say that Madeleine keeps tell us that Mimi's turning 5! :) Friday night we had dinner at our house to celebrate and I took lots of pictures! Madeleine was sooooo excited that Mimi was coming to her house and spent a good 30 minutes sitting in front of her window with Tasha (her new fav. toy -- from Backyardigans) watching for Mimi to arrive. Mimi is by far her favorite person EVER! Mimi was there from the night Madeleine (and Harrison) was born. She helped with their first baths, first shots, stayed up a night with me and them.... I could go on and on, but let's just say that I'm not sure we'd have survived the past 3 years without Mimi. And, I know that I couldn't have survived the past 28 1/2 years with out her either! She's taught me everything I know about being a wife and mother. Some of my best memories in the world are of me and my mom cooking and talking in the kitchen together for HOURS! I have to say, I can't wait to have that time with Madeleine, just because I have such wonderful memories of that time with my mom. Even to this day, I can't smell pumpkin bread, or sugar cookies without thinking of her. When I'm really sick, I still want her there with me (when I had Harrison my blood pressure bottomed out and I just kept telling Matt "get my mama" ). She's probably the only person in the world who can match my stamina when it comes to shopping. She taught me how to keep a clean house pretty much all the time (even with kids) and I still fold my laundry just like she does. :) No matter how tired she was, she always had time to talk to me. I still call her pretty much on a daily basis "just to talk" and she's helped me soooo much through this really tough transition of having two little ones at home ALL THE TIME! Sooooo......HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!


Hanging out with Mimi and Grandad

Harrison laughing
Madeleine sneaking a bite of icing
Madeleine and Sugar (aka Aunt Sharon)
Playing with Grandad
Harrison trying to hug Madeleine



Madeleine and Daddy


Madeleine and Mommy (I've been up since before 5am)


Madeleine sneaking ANOTHER bite of icing


Getting ready for Mimi to leave.....very sad

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The feeling is more than mutual. I love you and I am so proud of the Christian wife and mother you have become. I will always be there when you need me! Love, Mother.....Mimi

Jennifer Crow said...

Rachel- this is so sweet! Looks like you guys had a great time! You have a sweet momma!

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I object to the picture you posted of me since I had a full-blown sinus infection that night.

But aside from that, sweet entry. :) I think the thing I learned from Mom is the obsessive desire to always have a candle burning when I'm at home.

Sug