Friday, May 6, 2011

Cloudy With A Chance of Sunshine

This has been such a crazy week around our house. I know I still haven't even gotten around to posting about Easter, but I wanted to take a minute to remember this week.

First, let me say that I'm not complaining about any of this. This week was the result of choices I've made & I'm a big advocat of not complaining about the choices we make. You just have to live with them, even when maybe you haven't made the best choices.

So, this week. Well, first of all it was Teacher Appreciation Week. As the PTO president at Madeleine's school, I knew this was going to be a busy week for me. But, a few weeks ago it got even busier when our Teacher Appreciation Chairperson moved her kids to a private school & left a vacancy in that position. Unfortunatly, it was a little late to find someone to fill the spot, so the VP & I agreed that we'd just do the work ourselves. Madeleine's little school is also wonderfully blessed to have a great fundraiser with Razorback Parking (since we're located practically on the UofA campus, we park cars for home games) and it allows us to have quite a nice amount of funds to work with during TA week. :)

We'd planned some fun events -- something for each day:
Monday: breakfast (made my us), notepads & pens
Tuesday: lunch (made by us -- assorted salads & breads), candy in boxes
Wednesday: sonic drinks & cookies, candy in boxes
Thursday: lunch (catered by flying burrito & hosted by us), treats in boxes
Friday: candy buffet (by us), monogrammed bags in boxes, sundae coupons in boxes

By the end of the week, I'd spent over 20 hours at Madeleine's school. I enjoyed every moment of getting to show those teachers how special they are & how thankful I am for their hard work. However, it also made for a crazy busy week around our house....a "cloudy" week, if you will.

Some of the clouds in my week:
*Not sitting down to dinner as a family even once
*Having Harrison & Charlotte up at the school for most of each day. I held Charlotte most of the time we were up there & I have the backache to prove it today!
*Charlotte completely missing her nap 2 days this week....let me tell ya that made me feel like a great mom.
*Matt not getting home until bedtime or after every night this week.
*Having to tell our PTO Treasurer (who is 30 years my senior) that I pushed through a PTO Grant for $15,000 to renovate the school library. Needed, but certainly caused me some anxiety.
*Getting waaaaay behind on laundry and as of this morning we didn't have any bread, milk, or other basic foods in our house.
*Having to tell Madeleine's principal that I just wasn't going to be able to "reprise" my role as PTO president next year like she wanted. That was tough.
*Trying, along with Matt, not to get discouraged about our Sunday morning class. Matt spends so much time working on his lesson -- precious time that could be "family time" -- and yet, so many people skip out on class & just come for worship time.

However, I do think that it's important to remember the good things this week as well. The "sunshine" in my week:
*Charlotte started giving me HUGS this week.
* Harrison did an amazing job while at Madeleine's school. I'm so proud of him!
*The teachers loved all of our hard work.
*Harrison & I each made a good friend through all of this: our PTO VP, Sara & I have spent so much time together she's on my speeddial. :) Her little girl & Harrison have become good buds & will be in kindergarten together in another year.
*Matt finished most of his work & we should have plenty of family time & relaxing time the next few months!
*Madeleine's principal & I settled on me staying on the PTO Board as Secretary -- a very easy job. :)
*I am reminded of why I chose to stay at home & raise our children -- and the important work that I'm doing there.

So. That's our week. This week is going to be so easy compared to last!

No comments: