Monday, August 22, 2011

Monday Madness

Well, today was the first day that we were back on our "busy" schedule and I wanted to properly document it.

We had a great week last week with Daddy being home every night. I tried to really really enjoy it because I knew this week was coming. So tonight was the first night that I was back to being on my own on a regular basis. During the semester Matt is gone anywhere from 3-5 evenings during the week either in class, teaching a HU class or studying/working late.



Our day got off to a rough start. Harrison woke up around 4am having wet his bed. It's a rarity that this happens, but when it does it's not a little trickle--it's a tidalwave. Unfortunately by the time I'd taken him back to his bed and found this out, we'd woken up Madeleine. So, Harrison & I bedded down in Madeleine's bed and Madeleine took my spot in our bed. Another night, another round of musical beds. :) The whole ordeal had gotten Harrison good and awake. It was after 5am by the time he got back to sleep and I knew he was going to be one cranky boy tonight.



My first evening alone in awhile wasn't not my best. I think I'm just rusty and spoiled from the summer. We'll find our groove, but lest anyone out there think I have it all together, let me share a bit of our evening.


It was a little after 4pm when we got home from getting Madeleine. We'd planned to go to the pool, but it was drizzling so we ended up staying home. Boo. The kids were more than a little disappointed that we had to cancel the pool, although it's not like we haven't been to the pool much -- we've been every day except 1 for the past 2 weeks! This disappointment along with the crazy night added up to some cranky kiddos. They fussed and played off and on for the first hour at home. Then we started dinner. I'd planned for us to make pizza -- something fun for the evening. Wellllll, first Harrison grabbed the olive oil and slung it all over the kitchen. Not easy to clean up, that olive oil! Then Charlotte got ahold of Madeleine's chocolate milk and dumped it all over herself and the floor (that I'd just finished mopping up olive oil off of!). We were going downhill fast.



We quickly got the pizza in the oven, set the table, and got ready for dinner. Pizza is a favorite and they were hungry, so this had to be good. It wasn't. The kids didn't like our homemade pizza and I kind of have to agree with them. It was gross. So much for buying the "healthy" crust at the store. Next time, it's fat and grease all the way!



I had to try and end our evening on a good note. So, they had a good ol' bubble bath in our tub and then we all played legos until bedtime. They had milk and graham crackers before bed so no one went to bed hungry after the bad bad pizza. We ended our night with snuggles in bed.

And, just think. I get to do it all over again tomorrow. Good thing I love my job!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Love this post, Rachel! You are such a great Mommy!

Allison said...

Some days are just not great! There's always tomorrow. =0)

~aj~ said...

I'm sorry it was a rough night. I have soooooo been there and will no doubt be there again soon. The good news is that you're not alone and every morning is a brand new beginning!

PS That is SUCH a frame worthy pic!