Friday, August 24, 2012

The Big Day

Monday morning, the first day of school, came bright and early at our house. Very bright and early. I got up at 5 to exercise and had only been going a few minutes before Madeleine came into the living room. I told her to go get in bed with Daddy and go back to sleep, but instead she asked me, "can we play? Do we have to sleep?" Umm, we? Apparently she had woken Harrison up already and they wanted to spend the next hour playing instead of resting. So that's what they did. I think they were both just so excited! I finished working out, got ready and then Matt and I helped get everyone dressed and fed. We'd planned to leave really early that day since it was not only the first day back for Fayetteville schools, but also Farmington (which we have to drive through) and the UofA as well. The traffic was madness, but we made it to the school in plenty of time.
 
Thanks to pinterest, we had a little gift for each of their teachers. :) I filled mason jars with a mini version of our favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe & attached tags that read: With you as my teacher, I'll be one smart cookie. I thought they turned out super cute. Harrison's teacher said she & her aide ate them all that day. yay! I'm so thankful that they liked them!


 It was a chilly morning with temps in the 50s and we actually needed light sweaters! Crazy! Harrison's excitement calmed as we got closer to dropoff, but he did great! I went with Harrison to his class and Matt took Madeleine.

By the time I left Harrison, it was too late to go by and take a picture of Madeleine. I peeked my head in the door and she looked pretty happy. Then Charlotte and I went to the the kindergarten breakfast for parents. It's crazy to me to think that just 3 short years ago I was there with Harrison. How fast the time goes!

Matt didn't get to stick around because he had to get to work -- at another new job! Crazy, he's had 5 roles within the district in the past 14 months! He was all set to be the Middle School Math Coach this year and was excited about that role. Well, the Tuesday before school starts, Matt comes home from teaching his JBU night class at about 11pm and tells me "um, I think I have a new job." And, I laughed. I completely thought he was joking! He'd gotten a call that night on the way home asking him if he'd be interested in coming back to Ramay as the Dean of Students. It would allow him to work on his administrative license (eek --more time and money!) and give him some admin experience. He was encouraged by the principal and superintendent to take it and so he did. :) It's definitely going to be a BIG change. But, if this year has taught us anything, it's how to be adaptable and handle job changes. Ha! And, it will be a good fit. Matt is so calm and takes everything in stride, this will be good for him and he will be good for the job. It's going to make for a busy fall with more classes and longer work hours, but it will also open some doors in the future.

No comments: