Friday, October 29, 2010

Warning: Much Bragging Ahead

Well, first here are some pictures from Madeleine's fall party last Friday at school. Since I'm not the room mom this year -- and the room mom is a friend & "let" me do absolutely nothing! -- it was great to just show up and help out and have fun! Especially, great since I had 2 other little ones in tow. :)

When we first got there, they were painting pumpkins, which they followed up by filling gloves with popcorn and candy corn to look like creapy hands. Then they got to chow down on some yummy cupcakes, the extra popcorn and cookies. And, she came home with a huge bag of candy. Yippee! We were flying high on sugar that afternoon.....she was sweet enough to share some of that candy with her brother.
Harrison didn't want his picture taken, but here are my 2 girls. Charlotte had quite a time just watching all of the activity going on in the room and the kids looooved her right back!
Then today was our parent conference with Madeleine's teacher. I've been looking forward to this for awhile. I know that we have a great little girl, but it's always nice to hear it from her teacher as well. Since my parents are here for the weekend, Matt and I were able to go alone and have such a nice visit.
The first thing Ms. A said to us was "Madeleine is a sponge" and she went on to explain that she just soaks in everything she's learning. She said that Madeleine is always raising her hand to answer questions & that she often will ask if she can do more than the required assignment. That's my girl! Ms. A told us that her behavior is perfect & she's always doing the right thing. Loved hearing that!
She also told us that Madeleine is reading on a level 10 (they want them at a 6), but she felt sure that if she put level 16 material in front of her, she would have been able to read it. Level 10 was the highest they tested this time and by Christmas they will test her up to a level 16, which is the requirement for going to 2nd grade, and she's sure Madeleine will be there. :) Such a smartie! She said her writing skills are excellent and she is able to communicate her thoughts on paper. They only "grade" spelling and math and Madeleine had a 98% in spelling for this quarter & she was the only one in her class to score a 100% on her end of quarter math test!
I'm just such a proud momma! She works so hard, but she has quite an inspiring teacher. Madeleine loves Ms. A -- which is saying A LOT since we loved Ms. S last year too. She tells me almost daily, "I just love 1st grade!" That mades me happy, too.

1 comment:

~aj~ said...

I always say if you can't brag on your blog, where can you brag? :) And that Madeleine is sure with bragging over...what a special girl she is!