Thursday, March 24, 2011

Countdown

Matt & I had been planning a trip for us to take the kids to DisneyWorld this summer. We've checked out hotels & looked at how we'd get there. Then late February happened. And, we decided we needed to have some family time & get out of town for a week. So, we moved up our trip to Spring Break!!! Wow! It's been a crazy couple of weeks getting ready, but I think we're almost there. I've been grocery shopping for travel snacks, quickly buying summer clothes for the kids, and making lists galore!

I think this has worked out for the best though. Our biggest concern this summer was how hot it would be (especially for Charlotte). We waited until we were sure this was going to work out to tell the kids -- we told them just 1 week beforehand. Thankfully, that was perfect! I don't think they could have made it if they knew the trip was months/weeks away. Especially Harrison. To say he's been excited would be the understatement of the century. :) I made this chart for them to countdown. Harrison gets up every morning, doesn't speak to anyone, runs out of the room, straight for the kitchen, right to the countdown, moves his marker, counts remaining days and then he'll talk to us. Every night as I've tucked him in, he says, "mommy, let's talk about Disneyworld." And we do. All the time. If I even mention "disneyworld" in a conversation to someone (or on the phone) it starts an at least 30 minute conversation with Harrison about what we'll do there & who we'll see. :)

I think watching his excitement has been one of the best parts for me! Madeleine is much calmer, but still just as excited. She almost cried when we told her where we were going. Actually, we made them guess.....we asked them where was the one place they want to go the most (knowing the answer) and then told them we're going. It was quite a conversation that followed with the kids throwing out things they want to do!

Here's our countdown. It's magnetic.


No comments: