Sunday, June 6, 2010

Field Day

Wednesday was Field Day at Madeleine's school. We've been looking forward to this day for awhile & I knew it was going to be such fun! I'd signed up to help for the last 2 hours, so Harrison, Charlotte and I got there early so I'd have time to have some fun with them before I started helping out. We got there before they released the kids to go outside and headed to the kindergarten classroom. I was so excited when Madeleine's teacher offered to watch Charlotte so I could spend some time with the big kids! Since they had lots of people sign up to help, the teachers were able to stay and work in their rooms for the morning getting ready for the end of the year. It was SO hot that day & I was glad to not have to worry about Charlotte getting too hot; and she got some good lovin' too! :) So while Ms. Simpson worked and Charlotte chilled in her stroller, Madeleine, Harrison, and I headed outside to check out the field day fun!

And what fun it was!! They had so much for the kids to do.....everything from sidewalk chalk to bubbles, shaving cream to squirt gun fights, rock wall climbing to sack races and the list goes on and on....

Our first stop was digging for worms! They have one minute to see how many "worms" they can find in a pile of dirt while blindfolded. This was by far Harrison's favorite thing! He spent many, many minutes here.

Next we headed to the sponge races.
Then Madeleine showed off her skills at picking up marbles with her toes. :)
Then it was off to face painting. This was our last stop together. I was assigned to work at face painting for the next hour. Obviously, you have to have NO SKILL whatsoever to work at this booth. :-) And, may I also add whatever happened to kids wanting you to paint hearts, butterflies, and rainbows?? I was asked to paint lions, dolphins, the Joker and even do a "beat up" face. Huh???
While I helped out the kids were on their own. Harrison pretty much parked himself at the digging for worms booth, which was right next to me -- luckily! Madeleine found some friends and spent the time hanging out with them. Before I knew it, it was lunch time! While the rest of the school had a picnic, kindergarten came inside to eat. This was actually a great idea because they were all so hot and needed some cool down time. After lunch it was time for inside recess!
Harrison quickly headed to play trains! The boys in M's class were so sweet and played so nicely with him! He just fit right in with kindergarden!
Madeleine and her friends played on the white board and played "teacher." So cute!
And, miss Charlotee snoozed through it all!
After recess it was snow cone time!! Yummy!
Harrison just got in line with the rest of them -- not even by Madeleine.

Those little kids love Harrison! I think they all think of him as their little "charge." :) Ha!
While they were eating their snowcones, they got to watch the 5th Grade vs. Teachers Relay Race! So fun!! They cheered on Ms. Simpson who had to find a piece of bubble gum in a pie plate of whipped cream then blow a bubble. They cheered so loud! Afterwards, it was time to get quiet -- thumbs up! This is what M's school does when it's time to get quiet. Harrison is going to be SO ready for Kindergarten in a couple of years!!
Madeleine had such a fun day! After the relay race they headed back inside to watch some Toy Story before having another recess. I actually thought that Madeleine might fall asleep during the movie, she was exhausted! I'm so glad that we were able to come and spend the day with her class. Harrison had a big time as well and Charlotte just goes with the flow. :)

I'm already excited about next year --- probably a good thing since I'm sure I'll be helping with it! Ha!

No comments: