Saturday, December 5, 2009

A Few of Our Favorite Things

I thought it would be fun to share some of our Christmas "favorites."

Favorite movies: White Christmas (I've watched this every year since I was 5 and can pretty much recite it by heart), Christmas in Connecticut, Remember the Night, Meet Me in St. Louis (not entirely Christmas-y, but I think it counts) and Holiday Inn. I'm obviously a fan of the oldies!

Favorite Songs: Thanks to my good Christian upbringing, Christmas music doesn't get any better than a gay man singing "it's the most wonderful time of the year." Just kidding! Actually, I love Johnny Mathis Christmas! (Sharon you know it's true). The kids favorites this year, which they know by heart, are: Baby It's Cold Outside, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bell Rock, Santa Clause Is Coming to Town and Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree. I love hearing them belting out Jingle Bells in the car!!!

Favorite Sweets: The first year we were married and I made Turtles, I thought Matt was going to go into diabetic shock from eating so many! Now they're a staple during the holidays. We also LOVE Whitney's Mounds Bars -- worth every fattening bite --, Walnut Candy, Peanut Butter Balls, and Roasted Pecans. It also wouldn't be Christmas without Candy Cane cookies and cut-out cookies. This year I'm excited about Madeleine getting to help me make Spritz for the firs time too! (Oh yes, that's why I'm usually running like a maniac come January -- gotta burn off all those goodies!).

Favorite Traditions: This year we started the Elf on the Shelf (more on that in a later post). We also always make Magic Reindeer food to put out Christmas Eve, decorate a Gingerbread House and sugar cookies, and add to our christmas book collection. One of my favorite nights is our "Lights Night" where we get ice cream and drive around looking at Christmas lights. I also always add an ornament to the tree for each kiddo -- Madeleine has a fairy collection and Harrison's varies from year to year.

Favorite Christmas Books: This year they're favs are The Three Bears Christmas, The Sweet Smell of Christmas, and The Biggest Christmas Tree Ever and Rudolph.

I could write much more, but I mostly wanted to keep a record of what the kids enjoyed about Christmas the most this year. What are some of your Christmas favorites????

2 comments:

~aj~ said...

Isn't this time of year SO fun?!

I have to admit that I've never seen any of our Christmas movies...but your candy list sounds divine. :)

Where did you get your Elf on a Shelf? I thought about doing that this year, but it's a little more expensive than I realized. I may try to find a good deal after the holidays and start that tradition next year. Are your kids loving it?

~aj~ said...

Whoops, I meant to say any of YOUR Christmas movies.

My favorites are Christmas Vacation and Christmas Story. :)